Tuesday, March 7, 2017

My Guide To The California Wine Country

There are so many places on my bucket list and Napa/Sonoma was definitely on there and I've finally checked it off! About 6 months ago, I began planning my mother/daughter trip and thought that this would be the perfect getaway. Not knowing exactly what I was getting into, I can safely say that planning is key!! Knowing which producers I loved was the easy part. Figuring out how to narrow it down and the order in which to visit them in...now that was tricky.

So let's just dive right into it!

I began with where to stay. This is critical. Do you want to stay primarily in Napa? Sonoma? Santa Rosa? St. Helena? The options are limitless. I decided to book my stay via HomeAway. Once I started looking at hotels, I realized that this was the most economical option. After all...you can cook your own meals! So, after much searching, review reading, and Google mapping, I settled on a place called the Lazy Oak Creekside Bungalow.  Not only was it picturesque, but the location was perfect for us because it was fairly centrally located!

I decided that we should fly into SFO and rent a car. You can hire a driver but this seemed to be more cost effective. We got a really good deal through Payless....we realized when we landed that that was due to the fact that it was OFF SITE...but we just hopped on a shuttle to the rental location.

On our way into Napa, we stopped in a town called Sausalito which reminded me so much of Positano, Italy. It was absolutely beautiful!


For lunch, we ate at this cute restaurant on the water called The Trident (I'm sorry I was so hungry I didn't bother to snap a photo of my Mahi Mahi fish tacos but trust me they were GOOD).

From there we made our way to our little bungalow! Before arriving, we stopped at the Sonoma Market to stock up on the essentials...cheese! It was the perfect little grocery store. They have pre prepared foods, smoothies, fresh fruits and veggies...everything you need! We made sure to be stocked with travel snacks and water for the coming week!

So, we finally arrive at our bungalow and I can't even tell you how much I loved it! I absolutely adored our little back patio with the fire pit. It literally backs up to the Sonoma River. So, my mom and I sat outside next to the fire pit with our wine and listened to the river...we even spotted a couple of deer!!



Our first official day in wine country began the following morning. We started by just walking around downtown Sonoma. There is not a lot of "shopping" but it was so fun just to see architecture!


Our first tasting was at Chateau Montelena. Fair warning...if you go via Calistoga road....it is steep!

Before you visit Chateau Montelena, I highly recommend watching Bottle Shock before you go! Before visiting, I had tasted the chardonnay but that was it and I loved tasting the reds...especially the Zinfandel! The history behind the vineyard not to mention the gorgeous property, made for a wonderful first stop! If you are in the DFW area, Chateau Montelena is coming to Boulevardier for a wine dinner on Tuesday, April 4th!




From there, we went to Ehlers Estate which I would not have known about had I not been to one of their tastings at Pogo's a few weeks ago! This ended up being one of my favorites! I loved learning how the workers on the vineyard work year round and know the vines and the grapes so well. One of the reds that they do so well is the Cab Franc which is not an easy wine to produce but they do it beautifully. I ended up purchasing the Rose from Cab Franc (since you can't get it in Dallas) and this was by far my favorite from what we tasted!




Our last tasting of the day was by far my favorite of the entire trip and that was at Vincent Arroyo. What I loved most about this tasting was how personal it was. I really felt like I got to know the vineyard and the winemaker. It was like being on the farm with the farmers. There were dogs running around wanting you to play ball with them, we walked through the vineyard, saw the barrels...the entire experience was absolutely amazing. And, if you are in the DFW area, they are having a wine dinner on March 31st at Urban Rio Rooftop in Plano and I highly recommend it!


From there, we went to dinner at Terra in St. Helena. I have to say...this was an absolutely amazing meal. I originally wanted to eat at The French Laundry. But....it's quite expensive and I honestly don't know that I could eat all of the courses! So, some friends of mine in Dallas, suggested Terra and I was not disappointed. For $89, you get a four courses and you can literally pick any 4 things off the menu. You can pick the same dish four times if you want! At this point in our day, I could not do wine pairings so I just ordered a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon. I needed something I could sip through 4 courses! And here is what I ordered:

1. Crudo
2. Ezo Abalone, Scallop, Escargot Butter, Tosaka Seaweed, King Trumpets
3. Grilled Liberty Farm Duck Breast, Roasted Garnet Yam, Sour Cherry Duck Jus
4. Grilled Five Dot Ranch Flat Iron Steak, Potato “Aligot”, Cabernet Sauvignon Sauce






The next day, we discovered a new and amazing coffee shop right by our bungalow called the Cafe Scooteria! All I know is that I ordered some type of Chai Tea Latte with Almond Milk that had an extra shot of espresso and I ordered it every morning! ;)


Our second day, we started off at Trefethen which I really enjoyed. What I loved about this particular tasting was learning about the 2014 earthquake that hit Napa and how it affected the vineyard.


After that, we tasted with one of my favorite producers -- Yannick Rousseau. He is a very small producer who sources his grapes from specific vineyards. I love his Tannat and Colombard. This tasting was so special because it was so intimate and personal which I love!



That evening, we met up with a friend of mine on the Napa Riverfront. He suggested this fabulous Japanese restaurant called Miminashi. It's fairly new but they have a fantastic wine and sake program plus delicious food! I can not recall everything we ordered but here are the photos anyways ;)



The night was still young so we stopped into a little Spanish tapas restaurant called La Taberna simply for a specific wine they had on the list called Maddy Txakoli. It was light, slightly effervescent and very refreshing!


The next day was our last full day in Napa and our last stop was Iron Horse. They are known for their sparkling wine but they are all fantastic! Even if you just go for the view it's worth it! I loved how we tasted the wines outside and then sat on a bench that overlooked the vineyard. Absolutely amazing.



So ended our stay in the California wine country. The following morning, we decided that we needed a big breakfast before driving to San Francisco. We happened upon one of the best hole-in-the-walls I have ever come across! Not to mention this was probably one of the best meals I had. It's called The Fremont Diner. It had a bit of a creole feel to the menu and I would suggest going with a group and ordering EVERYTHING.



Before crossing The Golden Gate Bridge, I HAD to find a great place to snap a photo. I originally wanted to go to Kirby Cove but the road was closed. So, we found an alternate spot -- the Golden Gate National Recreational Area. Perfect!


We then checked into our hotel -- The Warwick -- which was very nice! I have to say...driving in San Francisco was absolutely terrifying. So, we valeted our car overnight and settled on public transportation or walking. We started out by hopping on the trolley to the Fisherman's Wharf. It's pretty touristy but still a beautiful spot!



From there, we walked to Ghirardelli Square. Personally, I think that the building is very interesting but, unless you plan on eating copious amounts of chocolate, there really isn't much to see.


We walked our legs off that day! We stopped in at Molinari Deli for some meats to go along with our cheeses and wine for the evening. Then we were so exhausted from literally hiking in SF that we crashed in our hotel room with cheese, meat, and (of course) wine. It was a good thing we did not go out that night because it was necessary that we drink a few bottles so we could fit it all in our suitcases!

The next morning, we ended our stay in SF with a final hike up California Street (I do not recommend). Why? Seeking breakfast! We found a place called MyMy. If you are there and in need of breakfast GO! You can expect a wait but not too long. What I loved was that they had classic dishes on their menu but with a slight twist. I ordered an egg white scramble with TONS of roasted vegetables, parmesan, pesto, and pine nuts. YUM! Plus their mimosas were the cheapest I could find!


And so ends my California adventure. Another few cities checked off the bucket list. I have to say...I do want to go again and soon! There are SO many vineyards and wineries to visit it's impossible to do it all in one trip. Choose carefully, plan ahead, and pack your snacks and water! 

No comments:

Post a Comment