Friday, July 5, 2013

Americanized Spaghetti

One of the major changes people seem to face when moving to a different country (or even just moving from Texas to Oklahoma), is the food. My diet usually consists of A LOT of protein and A LOT of veggies...very little in the carbohydrate department. Not to say that I don't like bread...I LOVE it! But...once I get started I usually can't stop. It's amazing how quickly a box of Wheat Thins disappears...

So, I guess I should start getting my body acclimated to the very carb-full diet of the Italians...right?

Yesterday was the Fourth of July and we (as usual) had a very large get together at our house. So, of course we have gobs of food left over! Tonight my task was to create something delicious with the leftover burgers...


Don't look too appetizing do they...?

Well, I immediately thought...PASTA! So, I went to Whole Foods and got some handmade Spaghetti (whole wheat and spinach)


And two 28oz cans of tomatoes (whole and peeled)


When I got home, boiled the pasta and sauteed our leftover onions in an iron skillet with garlic and herbs de provence...of course we still have plenty..


Then, I added the two cans of tomatoes. Once they came to a boil I mashed the tomatoes as best as I could...I do think a red sauce is delicious with chunks of tomato ;)


Then, I broke up 4 patties and put them in the sauce to heat up. Once the pasta was finished I put it into the iron skillet with the sauce (super important: DO NOT RINSE PASTA!!!) Why? Well..once you rinse it you rinse off the starches that keep the sauce glued to the pasta. Result? Sauce at the bottom of your plate and sauce-less pasta...booo


And you can not forget the Parmesan!! I like to get the grated Parmesan because I LOVE chunks of cheese :)


So here is my first attempt at a marriage of flavors between Italy and America (a.k.a. Texas).

Buon appetito ya'll ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment