Thursday, October 31, 2013

Spiritual Battles & Physical Hardships

How could a good God allow suffering?

That is a question both believers and non-believers face. And, it is a tough one to answer.

Lately, I have been feeling very sick. I'm not sure what the cause is. Is it something I am eating or not eating? Is it just a parasite or bug? An allergy? Or, is it simply the enemy attacking me? I do not have the answer. And, why would God allow me to feel this way if I am here serving Him?

Well, the last question I believe I have an idea.

"Just because you can't see or imagine a good reason why God might allow something to happen doesn't mean there can't be one" - Timothy Keller

Sometimes, I think we may need to suffer a bit to realize how weak we really are. If we felt great all the time and never faced any physical or spiritual hardships, then there would be know reason for God to exist. But, when we turn to Him during our struggles and give everything over to Him, we realize how wonderful He is and how extremely helpless we are without Him.

"If you have a God great and transcendent enough to be mad at because He hasn't stopped evil and suffering in the world, then you also have a God great and transcendent enough to have good reasons for allowing it to continue that you can't know. Indeed, you can't have it both ways" - Timothy Keller

Maybe our "physical hardships" are more mental than we realize. Our minds can play tricks on us and the enemy does not fight fair. 

Yes, I admit, I could simply have come into contact with an infected vegetable, contaminated water, or bad food at aperitivo. But, I also know myself and know that if there is anything wrong with my stomach I freak out! Which then causes more tension, more anxiety about what I'm eating, and more concern in general. This will not get the best of me. 

"Lord, hid me in Your Presence. Protect me in the battles I'm facing. As I honor You with my trust and cast myself on You, please deliver me - not just with survival but with complete victory"

That is my prayer. I will not give the Devil a way to defeat me. I promise I will rest and take care of myself. But, this will not keep me from working and enjoying my time here in Italy.

Some verses I have been reading:
Job 36:15
Psalm 3:3-4
Psalm 5:11
Psalm 119:71
Isaiah 41:10
Isaiah 49:13
Hebrews 2:18

Arrivederci ya'll ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment