Sunday, September 15, 2013

Despair: A Common Human Feeling

Why is it that rain can be so depressing? On the one hand, there is a certain romance about it. But, on the other, when you are alone it magnifies your despair.

It has rained non stop today.

I have begun to make new friends in Sesto and for that I am very thankful. But, I am still home sick. While I love to travel and see the world, I love to do it with family and friends. Being alone is scary, awkward, embarrassing, and uncomfortable. I am so used to always having something going on around me. Whether it's people being in my house, cooking dinner for family and friends, playing with my puppy, or making plans...I am always on the go. Here, the pace is SLOOOOW. And on Sundays (today)...even slower.

And so, today started off fairly well. I went for a misty run, showered, and went into town to supposedly meet up with some new friends. While I was waiting, I got a lot of good pictures and videos around town. There has been a festival all weekend so the town has been a little bit busier!



But, for some reason, my stomach has been bothering me the past few days and the fact that I am here for 3 months has really been sinking in. I realize that is not really that long but coming from a place where I was so connected with friends and family...it's down right hard!

I am trying hard but I know I am not doing my best...yet! It takes time to adjust, to feel comfortable, and to get to know people.

When I finally got home, I jumped into my pj's and turned on Gilmore Girls (nothing like Stars Hollow to make you home sick)! I sauteed some spinach in garlic and onions, poured pomi on top and added some chicken...that was dinner!

But, being in this one room by myself and listening to the rain...I began to feel discouraged. As if I can not do what I set out to do. I can not meet people, I can not create videos/photos, and I can not tell people about my faith.

Then, I opened my devotional. And here is a bit of what today's said:

"Though we may dread many of the problems or people we face, we aren't meant to. Though we lose hope in many of the trials of our lives, we aren't intended to. Though we forget that God sees the end of a situation even when no end is in sight, we aren't supposed to. Despair is supposed to be foreign to a relationship with Him...Despair cannot thrive or even survive when we are in close fellowship with Him and are seeing Him well. God, who is not discourages about anything, won't allow it...God's purposes are good enough to fill us with joy and leave no room for despair"

And so, this just confirms that I must grow in my relationship with Him.
"Lord, I lose hope far too easily, which means I lose sight of You far too easily. If I saw You clearly, I would be encouraged. Please come close and fill me with truth. Give me the joy of Your Presence and the hope of all Your promises"

Please continue to pray. The Italians need it and so do I.


Arrivederci Ya'll ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment