Thursday, September 26, 2013

Read The Good Book

I feel like my fun book (Book 2 of The Mark of Lion Series...highly recommend it) and my devotional (The One Year: Experiencing God's Presence...also highly recommend) were not brought on this trip for no reason.

Isn't it interesting how God uses ALL things?! Even the books we read?!

I could have chosen any book to start off with and could have picked any devotional. But, I picked these and that was for a reason.

In my fun book, "Echo in the Darkness", one of the main characters is on a quest; he (Marcus) is looking for God. Why? Because one of the other main characters (Hadassah) told him about The Lord and he is searching for him. Hadassah is an amazing character and I often wish I was more like her. She is strong in her faith and seemingly unafraid to share it with others. She goes through times that make our darkest days seem to be nothing but rainbows and butterflies. And yet, she is always praising the Lord for all that He has done. She shocks everyone around her with her devotion to Jesus and her courage. And yet, she does not see herself as others see her. She constantly feels afraid and unsure.

Why can I not be more like Hadassah? Why can I not have her courage and strength? True, she is a fictional character. But, books and stories are meant to inspire us. Why does the Bible not inspire us as much as fictional stories do? Why in days of trouble, depression, and darkness do we run to our favorite worldly author and not to our Creator? Seems interesting to me, however, that I happened to choose a novel that is inspiring me turn to God's word.

So, now to my devotional. Since I was feeling the need to open it again (as I should every day), I was so excited to read what it said. If you have a Bible handy, read Psalm 66...if you do not have one handy, stop here and google it.

It is a great psalm depicting God's power and endurance in our lives. In my devotional, it said this:

"His Presence is a blessing, but one that comes with trials and tests. It isn't easy. Experiencing Him is certain but not simple. He gives promises for the destination but not smooth highways for getting there. Endure patiently, press ahead, and don't ever for a moment assume that the Christian life or a relationship with God was meant to be a bed of roses. It's a long journey and an epic battle, and there are ample rewards for those who persevere".

And so, as I have read in my book, Hadassah had a very difficult life. She faced ridicule, Rome, and the Colosseum all for defending her faith. She was scared but she knew that pursuing a relationship with Christ would lead to eternal life in heaven. So what could man do to her? 
We are all faced with trials of our own. Sometimes, I feel that as we grow closer to The Lord, that is when the enemy is the closest as well. Satan knows how to trip us up and tries desperately to do so. 

Anyways, I just read this and was so excited that I felt the need to share :) 

Don't just read a good book. Read The Good Book!

Arrivederci Ya'll ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment