Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Italian Dinner Ideas

Over the past week, I have really been getting into the Italian spirit in the kitchen!

In this Texas heat it can really be hard to feel inspired to cook something...so I really haven't been getting much practice in (horrible I know)! But, I decided I better start!

Here are a few recipes I've tried out this past week that are light, fresh, easy, and don't heat up the kitchen too much!!

First, I made Chicken Cacciatore and served it with orzo. The Chicken recipe I got from (again) Debi and Gabriele on Cooking Channel. You can see there recipe here. They say 12 pieces of chicken serves 6 people...I only used 8 chicken thighs and that was PLENTY for 4 people! We had 4 pieces left over...so that took care of lunch the next day! I also left out the bay leaves (truth: I forgot about them but they were not missed). You could use canned roma tomatoes but, I recommend using fresh ones...like from the produce section...no cans.


I also made orzo to go on the side (basically a pasta that is shaped like rice). I cooked it in half water and half chicken broth and let it cool. Then, I just tossed it with olive oil, salt, pepper, diced red onions and olives, and some cheese (I used the "Caesars Blend" from Whole Foods but a good Parmesan would be great). It is delicious to serve chilled (not super cold and not warm...room temp-ish).


Now, if you are a wine drinker, white would of course be great! However, I have recently gotten hooked on this particular red:


A friend recommended it as a good red to pair with fish...and it is! If you are going to drink red with fish or chicken, this is a great one! Plus, it pairs really well with Mediterranean flavors. You can find it at Specs for about $15.

So, after this Italian dinner, my mom made two other great dishes that are wonderful on a hot day!

First, she made a Green Gazpacho which is, again, a recipe from Debi and Gabriele (I really recommend watching their show!). You can find this recipe here. Don't be turned off by it being green...it really is AMAZING! We took it with us when we went tailgating and it was the most refreshing this we could have brought.


And it's super cute!!

Then, she made a faux spaghetti (a.k.a. NO PASTA)! Don't freak out...it's really good! Plus, it has like ZERO carbs so you can feel better about piling on some parm ;)

Basically, she sauteed a few veggies (onion, carrot, celery) in some olive oil. Added in some garlic and the ground beef. Then, she poured in some already made sauce (you could use a can of roma tomatoes and really make it your own but this is super easy). Let the sauce simmer and cook down for a little bit. Then, she peeled a zucchini and squash and just poured the sauce right on top!


So easy, healthy, and yummy! You could put the peeled zucchini/squash in with the sauce and heat up for a few minutes as well. And don't forget to top with parsley and cheese!

Get inspired and bring some Italian flavors into your kitchen!

Buon Appetito Ya'll ;)





No comments:

Post a Comment